Monday, November 12, 2012

HIT THE BIG TWENTY-FOUR

Today was a Federal Holiday (Veteran's Day), and it was also our 24th anniversary.  I am no longer off on days like today (don't get me started about how I used to have five weeks vacation, two weeks sick leave, and these federal holidays off for sixteen years until the dentist moved west)--I did sacrifice my hourly rate for much needed time off at the time.  Carly was a baby and while she was growing up it was important to the both of us that we were home with her on her days off.  Fortunately, Stafford County schools were open, so we weren't inundated with children at my office all day!  I was feeling a bit more bitter about today being a day off for some (not the military mind you), because they just had two days off for Hurricane Sandy!  Shouldn't there be make up days somewhere.  It's not like the U.S. can afford this time off.  So back to my anniversary.  (And by the way, Ray wasn't off either.  Before his law firm was bought out seven years ago, he had these federal holidays off).

Both Ray and I are so in tune with each other.  We both woke up wishing each other Happy Anniversary via email and telling one another that next year, we are taking this holiday off and celebrating our anniversary somewhere!  I know I was just in Panama.  I know I have Fridays off.  But there is just something about not being off on my birthday or anniversary that is annoying me so much more.  I know, it's short timers disease.  Hopefully, I have two more years to feel bitter about these federal holidays.  In 2015, I will be off daily.  Every day will be spent with Ray in Panama :)  He will love retirement that much more!
I wore my mom's dress from 1961 (it was super heavy).

No comments:

Post a Comment