Sunday, March 31, 2013

THE ANTS COME MARCHING IN

First off, Ray and I haven't been home for three weekends (poor us).  This weekend, being Easter, and our daughter coming home for a later than usual Spring Break (she is student teaching and has to take spring break with the public school system and not the college this year), we are staying home and not spending it at the lake house.  What to do when at home?  And it is sixty degrees (finally!).  Spring cleaning.  Blech.  It didn't start out yesterday morning as being a cleaning day, but it had to be done at some point.  So Ray and I set out on some morning errands hitting Gary's Car Wash first.  His car was super messy with snow, salt and dirt.  Then to WalMart to look for bubblegum Peeps!  If anyone is to have that flavor, surely it would be WalMart.  Nope.  When leaving his car, he noticed many surface scratches at the front end of the drivers side.  What!  We knew it wasn't from the car wash, but now with the car being super clean, these scratches were noticed, and we decided they must have come from some irresponsible traveler hauling luggage at the airport last week.  We picked up some cheap surface scratch stuff, but alas no Peeps, and other essential cleaning aids.  Ray tried to get his hair cut, but the place was packed.  Once home, we realized the cheap surface scratch stuff didn't due the trick, but I had purchased Meguier's brand surface scratch compound two years ago (for my car, it was worth the purchase when I saw the tiniest first scratch on my door--horrors).  This product was found when the garage called out to be purged and cleaned.  Miracle lotion it is!  Scratches mostly gone!  Dirt in garage now gone.  We chatted with the neighbors who we rarely see, since we are at the lake house most weekends, paid off the girl that watches our house and collects our mail when we vacation with cash and Easter candy, bills paid, toilets cleaned, and then I decided to clean our floors.

Ants.  This is what happens when I clean.  I notice things I don't want to notice, but I am so glad I did.  The ants were marching all over my kitchen and sunroom floor.  Just a few, here and there, and no real ant trail, but enough to warrant a spray down.  (And thankfully, I just happened to pick up ant bait traps at WalMart when in the toilet cleaning aisle, because last fall when I saw them in the laundry room, it was eight pm at night, and, yes, I did run out to the store to get sprays and traps!)  This wasn't enough for Ray though (who was away both times the ants showed up in the laundry room).  Our sprayer was at the lake house, so off we went to Home Depot to get a sprayer and bug stuff such as Spectracide (which we didn't need because we had it in the newly cleaned garage but couldn't remember that from a few hours back).  Ray sprayed the perimeter of the house, and I decided to give my shrubs some plant food.  Then Ray put me to the task of cleaning up the leaves that continuously blow down the steps to the basement and settle in the corners.  My next door neighbor is building a shed.  He called over that we were making him look bad with all that we were doing.  The guy is building a shed from scratch, and he thinks we will make him look bad!

The reason I decided this most important post would be about ants (because I know that all of my posts are super important and hold valuable information!) is because on the Expat Exchange Forum many expats have posted within the past few months about bugs and ants coming into their houses and the best methods to get rid of the pests.  Oh, and I love the questions that ask "can you buy things in Panama to get rid of bugs"?  Yes, Panama has stores.  With doors and windows in them.  Many future expats were posting some questions but mostly concerns about bugs and ants raiding the houses.  Well, it doesn't just happen in Panama!  And just like in the States, there are traps, chemicals, even pest control agencies (I will be getting for those pesky termites more so than ants!), but bugs are everywhere.  My concern when in Panama will just be how I can possibly keep it together when I see these pests, be accepting of them being present, and keep telling myself I am the bigger person, literally.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ants


1 comment:

  1. Ut oh. There are bugs in Panama, not mosquitoes or annoying, aggressive bugs but there are bugs. We had little ants in the kitchen doing their best to clean up any crumb left anywhere (thank you, but, we really don't need the army) We tracked them from the kitchen, down the cabinet, across the floor, through the dining room, around the corner out the front door, across the walkway to their home under the house! A little "special powder" and they don't seem to be around today. We also had a very cute little gray mouse in the kitchen but unfortunately he also had to go before that also become an army of visitors.
    Other than that in the house it's mostly little things that fly and are attracted by lights, some harmless spiders, and a variety of docile little bees that visit when we eat outdoors. There are a lot of leaf cutter ants in our area that can eat things you'd rather they leave alone.
    But, there are measures to control all these things readily available in the stores here if you want and need them. There is also a Truly Nolan office in town, believe it or not! But, we've found that we've had little trouble with insects here. It's nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors anytime, day or night, without mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete