Sunday, October 27, 2013

HAVING THE TIME TO PARTY

As usual, when I walk by myself like I did today (another four mile tour), my mind gets busy.  I started the walk off thinking about my neighborhood, the friends we have here and really how we have just gotten to know many of them a bit more in the last year.  We were at a Halloween Party last night that my next door neighbor invited throws annually, and we had a fantastic time with everyone (perhaps a little too fantastic, which might be a really big reason why Ray didn't want to walk with me today). This thought brought me to thinking about the excitement we had when we moved into this neighborhood seven years ago.  Even though we didn't have a pool in the backyard, we would have less yard work on the weekends (scaling back from six acres to under a third of an acre) and more time.  We were going to entertain more (like on House Hunters when they ALWAYS say "I really want an open floor plan for entertaining.").  We had two parties.  Then we bought the lake house with our close friends.  I was excited to have everyone over on the weekends.  Now the thought was that we would entertain here.  We would throw parties.  We had one.  My family (my sister, her boyfriend, nephews) along with Ray's family have been to the lake house maybe three times.  Yes, we have had friends come for a day to swim, go for a boat ride,  go to winery events with us, and our roommates family have gathered at the house on many occasions, but as far as throwing a party, decorating, inviting friends and neighbors to one big gathering, that just never happened even at the lake house.  The reason I was giving this thought is on another blog written by my virtual friend, Holly (Let The Adventure Begin!), she wrote about Hollyween and the annual party she would throw for family and friends.  And now in Panama, we all agree (blogging friends) she needs to decide on one event, or even many (!)  to celebrate (maybe still have a Halloween party for those that embrace the costumes, dressing up, scariness of it).  I told Ray that is my plan.  Perhaps we can have an annual "We made it to Panama" party, or  "It's rainy season, so let's party" party, or "Our tasks today actually all got done today and not mañana" party.  Maybe we can throw a get together on a holiday that we won't be home in the States for, such as July 4th, and we can throw an annual Red, White and Blue party (I know Panama has fireworks!).  Because I really do hope to make lasting friendships in Panama like I have done here.  I just cannot wait to enjoy the friends and appreciate the time we will have to spend with these new friends.

 It has been an unusual month in that Ray and I won't have been to the lake house for four weeks (plans are to go there this coming weekend).   There have been fall events and get togethers that we have enjoyed RSVP'ing "yes" to on the invitations.  We are really making great memories to take with us to Panama.  It will be more difficult to leave if we keep this up, but so many of our friends say they want to visit us and see Panama.  They are just as excited for us as we are.  And just like not knowing that I enjoy Kid Rock music ("who knew this about Allison" was what a neighbor said last night to Ray while I was dancing the night away to all that classic rock music), they are discovering that Ray and I might actually not be so "vanilla" (straight laced) after all.  How the heck would we be able to pack up and move to Panama if we didn't have a little "rocky road" in us?

No comments:

Post a Comment