Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ALASKAN VACATION ("No Mom, you came to them")

What a spectacular place Alaska is!  And for that matter I loved everything I saw and everywhere I visited in Seattle for the two days we were there before getting onto the Star Princess Cruise Ship.  Our home away from home for a week.  But first--if you ever get the chance to go to Seattle, DO THE UNDERGROUND TOUR!  Amazing how they lived so many years ago!
Now as far as Alaska goes, how could I be so many miles away in such a different place from PANAMA (!) and still be realizing that "I think I can, I think I can" (make the move to a foreign place/a "third world country").
 First, I had to practice extreme patience.  It isn't easy being on a cruise ship with 2,500 other people for a week (I am not complaining since this is a once in a lifetime trip for me).  All the other passengers seemed to be hungry at the same time, want the "free" pizza and ice cream at the same time, went up the elevators at the same time (I did take the steps many times though.) and many of them didn't get that spatial concept.  Leave me some room to breathe, please.
 Trying to find patience being in this car with the smelly, rude children playing "gas" games while their parents did no parenting for three hours.  
 Second, I had to realize that not everyone was speaking my language.  My daughter pointed out to me several times that many of the other passengers didn't necessarily get my jokes or humor (yes, I strike up conversations with strangers or make small talk while waiting for a show to start or an elevator to show), and it was because they didn't speak my language or "get me".
Third, again pointed out to me by my daughter, while whale watching I made a comment that I just expected the whales to show up.  Sort of like when I have gone out on a snorkeling party boat excursion on another cruise in the Caribbean, let's say--the dolphins and fish would just show up because they were being fed.  I was expecting the whales to show up because I was there to see them.  They were going to come to me.  My daughter told me (and I still get goose bumps when I remember this), "No mom, you showed up".  I went to them--I was in their world.  Not the other way around.  They were doing what they normally do, say migrating, and I was the visitor. (Patience waiting to get the tail end of the whales!)
Patience waiting to get the tail end of the whales!
 Which got me to thinking today about Panama.  I will be in the Panamanians world.  I will be speaking a different language.  They won't "get me".  And I will have to be extremely patient.

2 comments:

  1. An Alaskan cruise is the best! I enjoyed all the ports I visited there. What a beautiful place. They have whale watching here in Panama - I think the months of July-October. I have a contact if you want to do any whale watching while you're here. Just let me know! I seem to remember November being worse than October last year as far as rain goes. I hope you get lucky with clear weather. Just have an umbrella and rain poncho handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want that contact! If it is decent weather it would be great to look for whales there in Panama, and I am sure my sister and nephew would love it too. And hopefully, the sun will show a bit during my week. I am looking forward to my next vacation :)

    ReplyDelete