Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TRADING ROLLER COASTERS FOR ZIP LINES

In all the vast research that I did (Google), I discovered that there are 1305 currently operating amusement parks in the world with at least 1 roller coaster (this is 3 year old information).  In the United States, there are 267.  I have visited 9 of them.  And I have loved every minute riding every coaster.

But while waiting for some mechanical difficulties to be resolved on the brand new  "Verbolten" roller coaster at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg (or as the nice lady on the recording in her Oktoberfest accent said over and over, "we seem to have hit a speed bump in the road"), it was then that I thought about Panama most likely not having amusement parks. My daughter and I waited in line for what would turn out to be an hour (we were two rides away from being seated when it broke down, so we couldn't bail). I had a lot of spare time to think and also a lot of time to have small talk.
Verbolten at Busch Gardens (no, I am not pictured here)

Griffon at Busch Gardens (another favorite)
https://www.google.com/search?q=griffon


Once home I discovered that Central American countries Costa Rica, Guatemala, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, Peru and Columbia all have amusement parks.  I started thinking of  why Panama does not have amusement parks.  Okay, maybe because it is very hot, humid, rainy (on and off for six plus months) and buggy.  I do know weather is an important factor because the creators of LegoLand shot my area down ten plus years ago--we get snow, it couldn't be a year round park, no one knows where Dumfries is which is ten miles north of my house, and many more excuses to move the idea elsewhere).  And there are spatial issues (Panama isn't very big and a lot of it is forest and mountainous).

So on the one hand, I start to think that and on the other hand I think "but look at the Panama Canal".  That is a tremendous feat and accomplishment.  Then I remember that the US built the canal.  Workers from the US, Panama, many from the West Indies (mostly Barbados), Europe and Asia to be more specific braved the heat, the rain and mud, the illnesses from mosquitoes and poor living conditions to build the canal.  But they are adding a third lane and undergoing a huge expansion.  The vast majority of the laborers are Panamanian this time.    And the Panamanian government passed a law in May, 2012 that foreigners from many specific countries will be able to apply for jobs now in Panama. They want to keep up with the growth of Panama's booming infrastructure by hiring qualified laborers and talent to help move things along and get projects done.

 I get a bit hopeful for amusement parks! There are now a bunch of people from all different countries including Panama that can build me a roller coaster! For now, the zip lines will have to do. That will have to be my source of amusement park entertainment.  Or quite possibly the best thrill ride for me is getting behind the wheel of a car and driving in Panama City---I think I will stick with zip lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment