Saturday, April 13, 2013

HI HO, HI HO, IT'S OFF TO TAZEWELL WE GO

Okay, let's get geography out of the way first.  When I met Ray, I had never heard of this county called Tazewell.  I was pretty well versed in how to get up and down the east coast of Virginia, since I went to college in pretty much the the most southeastern point of the state (Norfolk is where Old Dominion University is, and I spent a lot of time at Virginia Beach which is an easy drive from the school).  But I didn't know a thing about the western part of the state.  Tazewell County has a population of 50,000.  I believe it is true coal mining country.  Ray's mom's side of the family (and it's a huge family) were born, raised and still live in Tazewell.  Ray's mom did move to "Northern Virginia" when she married, but a little less than twenty years ago, she remarried and returned to home.  This past Thursday, her stepmom (Ray's grandmother) passed away.  Tomorrow we will drive the 325 miles (making it a fun road trip with my car and the top down--the car's top, not mine!)  in less than six hours to be with family for the services on Monday.  We return home Monday night late, because guess who doesn't get paid any funeral leave.  That would be me, of course.  I could take more time off, but without pay?  Uh.  No.  Having to use my accrued time off?  Not for this trip.  We will take a longer trip another time.  When planned.  Ray gets three days paid leave.  He is going to use two of those days.  And yes, I am bitter.  Remind me again, why I chose this career path almost thirty years ago?
Tazewell is in yellow, we live in the green zone about three counties counting down from the top.


I think of cows, rolling pastures, and coal mining when I think of Tazewell.
Which brings me to Panama, of course.  We will be visiting with most of Ray's mom's family tomorrow.  Funerals always bring families together.  We don't expect many of Ray's family to travel to Panama (his one aunt and uncle said they will visit us though).  His mom doesn't fly.  She doesn't even like driving to visit us here anymore, because it is so hectic. When I think about Tazewell and Ray's family, I realize they are more along the lines of the Panamanians in that many family members live together in small spaces, most have not left or gone far (and if they do, they come back), some work but don't have careers, many are on disability or welfare, but overall, they are happy to be there.  It's not a life Ray and I would choose, but it's living.  That's all anyone can ask for is to live another day doing what they are happiest doing.  And where they are happiest doing it.  We think and hope Panama, wherever we may settle in the country, will be where we are happiest living life to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment