Sunday, April 21, 2013

MIDNIGHT AT McDONALD'S

I have written it many times in this blog, and I am now beginning to realize I may not be telling the complete truth about my visits to McDonald's.  I told Ray last night that in the past month, we have frequented McDonald's four times (even if for just a yogurt parfait, soda or breakfast sandwich, I think I need to retract the statement that I never go there)!  That's three times more than I think I have been there in the past six years (that time was in Coronado, Panama for breakfast in October before we discovered the Cafe in Machetazo).  What does McDonald's have to do with Panama?  Well, this is how I know I am in still in sync with Ray.  After having left a party in Vienna, Virginia last night (about an hour north of our house) and within ten minutes of being home, I said to Ray "if Sweet Frog were open, I would so love to get some frozen yogurt".  He was thinking something pretty much along the same lines, only he was thinking about McDonald's french fries.  At 11:45 pm, we pulled into the drive through so he could get fries, and I had to have a hot caramel sundae, no nuts, double the caramel.  He ordered a sundae as well for dipping his french fries into the ice cream.  We sat under the parking light and our talk turned to the day, the party and Panama. We talked about the comments made and the questions asked at the party (we were chatting separately a lot). I made the comment that at that moment it will be a great memory when we stop at Coronado's McDonald's in Panama (which I now know we will do again, who am I kidding), and I will think back to sitting in the car under that bright light at midnight with him dipping fries into ice cream.  (And yes, I am aware that back in the day, we wouldn't be under a bright light in a parked car doing of all things...eating!).

We were at a birthday party last night for one of our Lake Anna house co-owners.  We don't see many of the people that were at the party often, and of course, talk turned to our retirement in Panama.  One year ago at this same party, we were just touching the surface telling these friends our thoughts and dreams.  It is now one year closer to reality, we have visited the country twice, these friends have seen our pictures on facebook, so it was normal that there were more questions, random at best, asked of us. Some of those questions were the following:

Are you still planning on moving to Panama and when?  Yes. 2015 perhaps sooner.
Where will you live and what do houses cost? We will rent somewhere maybe in El Valle or beach area.  The housing prices are going back up like in the US, and where we want to live the supply isn't so high.
What happens to the house there, if you bought it, if you don't want to live there anymore?  You would sell it like you would here.
After all that you did to get your car (we went to Sweden for it), it seems like a waste.  Why not take the car with you?  Is Ray getting rid of his, too?  We planned three years ago to buy a car overseas.  We had a wonderful vacation driving the car around and having it shipped here (and we saved 7% on the cost of the car doing this and the trip--flight and hotel--was free.  We had no idea Panama would happen.  Shipping a car is too expensive,  we need to make sure there are service centers that can repair the car easily, and yes, Ray will sell his car, also. We will make money off the cars, so we can buy one once in Panama.
Is there crime?  Will you have security?  Yes, and yes.  Just like I won't drive into Anacostia or some streets in DC at night, I won't be hanging around Colon, Panama or walking the beach alone at night.
Are you just going to give your stuff away here?  You just bought x, y and z and now you won't take it with you?  We are going to sell as much as we can, convey stuff with the house, give to our daughter and again, make some money selling things, so we can buy once in Panama.  We are taking suitcases, maybe a box or two on the plane, because things here won't hold up well in the tropical heat of Panama.

The best thing said to me was from a friend I see perhaps three times a year.  When hugging good-bye, he said, "I am so proud of you guys.  Way to go."  Super supportive and super comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment