Tuesday, May 14, 2013

FIRST DUCK IN THE ROW


Before my wonderful Mother's Day weekend started, Ray had to drop clothes off at the dry cleaners and fill the car up with gas (in our area, it is coming down to $3.45/gallon for regular).  We have used the same cleaners for fifteen years, so we have come to know the owner's son a little bit.  He knows about our adventure to Sweden for my car, buying the lake house, Carly playing soccer, going off to school and grad school, and yes, he knows about Panama.  He asked Ray this past weekend if we were still on track for Panama.  Ray told him "first step down, getting Carly graduated"!  Wow.  He is right.  This is what we have been saying all along, and it's the story we are sticking to.  Carly graduates, and she gets settled in her new life.  And once I see that she is settled with a place to live, a job and some security with her new surroundings, before we know it, we are off to Panama.

A patient of mine today told me she was moving back to Louisiana in two weeks.  It's home for her.  She has traveled with her husband for years, since he was active military.  He is giving up their settled life here in VA including his job for her--to be with her family/parents.  He doesn't have a job yet, but he does have a pension.  If he doesn't find a job there, they will be okay and will volunteer and find things to do.  Naturally, I told her about Panama and what we will do once there (or so we think). We talked about packing it all up and leaving the rat race.  She told me I was more adventurous that she ever could be.  She would have to move her entire family with her.  I told her it helps to know that we have established a few relationships and friendships in Panama already.  It was exciting sharing the news with a patient (I have only told maybe three).  I told her that the hardest part will be not being able to jump in a car to see Carly at the drop of a hat.  I can say until I am blue in the face that it is only 4 1/2 hour direct flight to Dulles Airport, but it is going to be a big deal.  While I am hoping for the excitement of the changes to be had, and just in general the life changing events to unfold, I am wanting it all to slow down a bit today.  What I am really trying to figure out is where did the last 21 years go?  Here's hoping the next year is just as exciting and fulfilling, but perhaps it will go in reverse a few minutes every day.
They just love picture taking time!

Proud parents with Carly at The Trellis (Williamsburg, VA)

Walking the walk to get her Master's Degree

Carly and Tom (Jefferson) arm in arm

Shaking hands and hugging Professors after getting her degree

Momma and Carly

Carly's Bachelor and Master's Degree=$90K  That smile=Priceless!

From 3rd grade (age 8) to now (age 21)

End of a beautiful Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations! How exciting.

    Interesting, we are on our way to the US for my daughters graduation. Tis the season.

    Thank goodness for internet and Skype so you can stay in close touch. Now that we use video chat instead of just phone calls, it's almost like being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, we are going to update laptops tomorrow (my daughter's grad gift is a MAC), and of course, I am looking at the numbers to make it the fastest and best for Skype (or most likely a MAC for facetime), etc. I know it really depends on internet service/connection, but this will be another thing checked off the list of things to square away before big move. (I am currently using a 2002 laptop--my daughter's OLD one, since mine bit the dust, and my other one and my other one!).

    ReplyDelete