Thursday, July 4, 2013

PANAMANIAN LINENS AND OX CART (catchy title there)

This is where it all begins.  With the linens.  The other day, Ray sent Carly a link to woot.com.  The daily special was 800 thread count sheets in a variety of colors.  Woot is associated with Amazon and posts daily discounts on goods.  Every day there is something different from sheets to tablets to computers to small fans--you name it.  This is where I bought my now archaic Kindle for dirt cheap three summers ago--a treat to myself when my mom passed away, and it wasn't refurbished like some of the high dollared items can be. Today's special is a reconditioned laptop for $350.  Carly replied back to the email that she had already bought sheets for her soon to be queen size bed and was happy enough with them, but I wrote back to Ray and said, "let's buy them and put them in our Panama stash."  Our Panama stash is a Rubbermaid tote we have set aside from our purging of the basement that contains items that have to go to Panama.  My Knickerbocker cupie doll is definitely in that tote!  So much for just bringing some suitcases with clothes and some treasures.  Now we will have sheets in slate blue.  But I have read enough about Panamanian goods to know that the linens can be great quality for a great price.  Otherwise, this is one area where the quality doesn't seem so great.  (This also includes the napkins that give you to use at most restaurants!)

Now to the real dilemma.  A shout out to anyone that can tell me the how-to's of packing this ox cart.

My dad purchased this in Costa Rica, and it sat in the corner of our eat in kitchen for thirty years.  Now it is at the lake house with me.  It simply must go to Panama.  The wheels and handle do come off.  (I just looked.)  Do I go to a PakMail store to have it boxed up?  Do I just find a large box and wrap it up myself and take to the airport with my suitcases.  I could "google" it, but I decided someone "out there" in blogging land will help me.

Here's to a Happy 4th of July on whatever land you may be! My walk is done, since it gets so humid here, and the lake is calling me. First, some breakfast :)


4 comments:

  1. If you wrap it, and its dimensions are not more than 62 inches (H+W+L) and it doesn't weigh more than 50 lbs, the airlines will take it. But you can only take 2 check in items each before it becomes cost prohibitive so it will replace another bag.
    I don't know if this is an option but Royal Caribbean offers a relocation cruise in Nov. from Miami to Colon. You can take everything that will fit in a cabin. Some people get an extra cabin just for stuff. That's how we are bringing our heavy and awkward items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! Knew I could count on all of you :) I will measure it. We just figure we will be paying muchos dineros when we leave here to the airline with our bags themselves lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, check with shipping it through Riba Smith which for this would be www.delvi.com I know a lot of people use them to ship things here. My understanding (I think, as I've never used them) is that it doesn't matter how much it weighs....fill up the crate and when it arrives, ask Flete Chavales www.chavale.com to pick it up and they will have the shipment in Boquete the next day.

    Take the above info with a grain of salt, but definitely something to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we would have to get it to the El Valle area if that is in fact the area we rent, and thank you so much again! I would love to just fill the thing up lol and ship it that way! I will look into it all! Believe me!

    ReplyDelete