Saturday, September 28, 2013

NEW MOTTO...WINE, THEN WORK

After our trip to Napa Valley, it was back to the grind.  A full week of work for me (since I don't usually work Fridays, but decided to see patients yesterday), and four days for Ray.  Ray was smart to take Monday off.  There is no way he could have returned home at midnight and then woken up at three am for a day of work.  I had maybe seven hours of sleep but with the time change, I was dragging.  I didn't let my patients know though!

A week passes, I meet a friend/patient of mine for twenty plus years for lunch to talk about and compare our notes from our vacations to Napa, go to the grocery store, try to get dinner at a restaurant but our order wasn't put in in a timely fashion so we had quick subs, and all of this to prepare for today.  A Saturday drive to a winery in Front Royal.  The owner of this new business/winery is the son of the woman that videotaped our wedding twenty-five years ago.  He grows a few grapes on her acreage at her Lake Anna house in Bumpass, VA (where we also own a house) and more grapes in PA.  We felt we should take the drive to Front Royal and support the grand opening.  And of course, taste more wines.  Four tastings and a full glass later (full glass for me since Ray was driving), we bought two reds (I happened to really enjoy Miller Winery red wines, and it seems my tastebuds are changing.) to take home with us.  We stopped for a greasy burger, greasy chicken sandwich, greasy fries and frozen custard.  We also stopped at The Apple House (a Front Royal icon since 1963 located in Linden, VA that is a huge gift shop and restaurant near Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah Mountains) for warm apple donuts.  (I have lost two pounds of the eight I gained on vacation so far haha)

Once home, I delivered a gift to our neighbor (a fourth grader that brings our mail in while we are on vacation), and here is when Ray put me to work.  Time to prune those shrubs.  Ugh.  Rose bushes.  Every rose has a stinking thorn.  Ten days ago I was at "The Stinking Rose" for dinner in San Francisco.  Today, I was getting stuck and poked by my rose bushes (why I kept them when we re-landscaped three years ago, I haven't a clue except for that I didn't want to just kill them).  Ray got the worst of it, since he wasn't wearing gloves.  But alas, the end result will be that pruning needs to be done now.  Fall season is here--my favorite (and I will miss it).  Then winter comes (and I will not miss the cold).  Next up is Spring. Then the For Sale sign goes up.

Warm apple donuts


The Apple House
Only the best meal with tons of garlic from this restaurant!


Poked and stabbed by all of these thorns





No comments:

Post a Comment