Thursday, February 27, 2014

FROM QUEEN OF THE PROM TO CINDERELLA (in less than 24 hours)

I had the pleasure of once again heading to Charlottesville, VA last weekend for an annual girls spa weekend at The Boars Head Inn.  It's hard work, but someone has to pull through and do it.  I have been going along with my three girlfriends to the Inn for the past fourteen years, and yes, it is in the plans to continue the tradition.  We have a wonderful first day of meeting for lunch in Culpeper, VA (meeting me, since the three of them drive together coming from the same location--I am farther south) and then settling in Friday night with our own happy hour and some board game playing.  This year there was a bit of a mix up in that OUR room was not available.  "Excuse me, Daniel, what room key is this for?  Did you change the room numbers to all of the rooms?".   Due to HVAC systems being replaced in some of the buildings, Daniel assured us that we had a lovely cottage waiting for us.  And he was right!  We loved our cottage!  After catching up over drinks, more food and games, we retired early to get ready for the long day ahead of spa treatments.  Some years past, we spent the entire day having as many as five services (manicure, pedicure, body glows, massage, facial).  From 9-5, it was a job!  With a break for lunch, of course.  But with the economy faltering, job security questioned and changes in personal situations, we have all scaled back to two services (or maybe three for one in the group).  In between and around services, we eat our gourmet lunch that we have brought along with us, drink wine, chat more, take walks, read, rest and eat some more.  Then it's happy hour all over again, and a gourmet dinner with dessert.  More games, more big fun and on Sunday, after we eat (again) out for breakfast, we head home.

 I have in the past laid on the couch to rest once home from spa weekend.  Like I said, it is exhausting and like a job.  In the meantime, Ray is usually laying on the couch catching up on tv.  He takes the weekend just to recharge and do nothing.  Even with our daughter being home and in high school still, she would be working on tons of homework, and he would be resting from the work week and long commutes.  This year was a little different for him.  He had several people coming, starting on Friday afternoon, to pick up large, heavy pieces of furniture.  I caught him on the phone the first night out of breath having just moved the huge, boxy, and massive desk.  It sold!  The piano was next.  On Saturday, four men, a piano on a piece of carpeting, a dolly and a large truck got that piano safely out of the house.  And then there were the couches.  Ray remembered the legs unscrew, so he got those off of them right before they were moved out of the house by two neighbors and, of course, himself.  No rest for Ray!  He ran errands, grabbed some Doritos for dinner and Chinese food, and then he went through papers and more papers that had piled up in the desk that we now didn't have in the office.  Where to put everything?  He had empty bins to fill with those important papers that we need to keep in one place, an archaic computer to re-hook up at the desk in the kitchen, pennies to roll, and silver to count!

Once I arrived home, I saw all that Ray had done.  Then we went on a date to Costco.  Yay!  We needed ink for the printer.  And to graze on all of those samples!  Once back home, the future owners of the house (who, by the way, have renters for their house!) asked to move a few more things into our living room.  Anything they had in their china cabinet, buffet, and built-in bar area came into the house.  I decided, and Ray was right there with me, to clean windows.  From Queen to Cinderella!  So now three more rooms are empty, the floors are swept, the windows are clean, the front entrance way has clean windows, and life if looking really good!  The future owner (should I just write "FO"?) commented "you are cleaning a house that has already sold, and your house is in pristine condition."  I told him that was a bad attitude to take, because I don't want him talking about us behind our backs once we are gone.  I also told him I was going to keep my heat running all day everyday since the gas company arrived on Saturday when Ray was not here, and the man filled the tank up completely!  There goes our credit!  If only we could have stopped him at half the tank!  Urg!  Oh well, like I told the FO, I am going to crank my heat up and use my gas stove everyday for the next six weeks.

So now, what's up with Panama?  Ray and I have been looking on Craigslist at furnished places to rent.  Our friends, Clyde and Terry (www.alongthegringotrail.blogspot.com) were more than happy to go with a realtor being our eyes to check out a four bedroom, three bathroom house near Coronado.  Clyde took close to fifty pictures and sent them to us.  He and Terry also gave us their opinions (which we value a lot!) about the house, neighborhood, lot, and their overall feel of the place.  This Sunday, they have another one they are going to look at for us again as our eyes.  My boss asked me today if I was getting excited about Panama.  I told him I am ready to get to the lake house first.  I am ready for the cold to go away (snow both Tuesday and yesterday--it didn't stick, but it was two or three inches of big, white, and fluffy flakes of coldness).  More of a wintry mess next week coming to us.  I told him I am ready to have one house empty.  I am ready to have my things in one place along with my daughter's things stored nearby.  I am ready to make my last trip to Goodwill, and I am ready to not have anyone come to my house to buy furniture (the lady for a tall mirror didn't show tonight).   I didn't tell him I am ready for work to be done haha   If Sunday comes along and Clyde and Terry are shown a great house, for a great rental rate, I am ready to put a deposit down and have a place to call home there.  I am ready to take things to the lake house tomorrow to unload some of our "stuff".  Tomorrow I am having some dental work done (replace a veneer and to get a crown before going to Panama, since I only pay lab costs here)--not so ready for this, but I am ready to try out hearing aids that I am going to Costco for after my dental appointment (I think!).   I am SO, SO READY to see my daughter this weekend (!!!) to deliver a rug to her (for her classroom) and a Rubbermaid bin with some kitchen things in it that she has asked for.

And finally, I start to think how I am so ready to plan our daughter's first trip to Panama to see us and to share all that we have discovered in our new home.  The Barbie game where I was crowned Queen of the Prom last weekend will stay at the lake house (or my daughter will take it back someday), but I am ready to continue to have silly fun, gourmet meals, happy hours and even play board games whether it is here, Charlottesville, the lake house or in Panama.  Ready or not, here we come, this much closer to no longer being "wannabe retirees in Panama".  Now to come up with a new blog name...

No comments:

Post a Comment