Sunday, March 30, 2014

STAY TUNED--THINGS ARE BOUND TO GET INTERESTING

In a professional quandary here since Friday, and solely because I am loyal to my word, I doubt anything will change in decisions Ray and I have made these past few months.  I don't know what to expect tomorrow and in the coming days and weeks, so I will take a step back and see what develops.  I won't put into detail what transpired, and I expect confusion from this first paragraph, but just know that I am saddened by what occurrences took place this past week at my office.

But enough of that!  Let's move past all the drama of office politics and the wrongdoings of others, and let's celebrate Ray.  (By the way, I am now typing this post from a gravity chair--a lounge chair that we use at the lake.  We just saw our sunroom couch and love seat go out the door!  Six nights of luxury seating at its finest!)

Well, at Ray's big retirement shindig Friday night, there were so many loving co-workers, along with me, my daughter and her boyfriend, sharing his special day with him.  Seventy or so employees were at the luncheon on his final day which was then followed by a happy hour/dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, Los Toltecas.  I told my daughter that anyone, including me, could only hope for 1/10th of the love and joy those friends of Ray's shared with him that day.  (Maybe it was the margaritas?)  Even an attorney bellowed out to Ray down the table in front of all that he loved Ray.  He clarified it by saying that no one had better work ethics than Ray and that he appreciated the work that Ray had done all of these years.   And he went on to say that he was always grateful for all of the help Ray had given to him and all that he had done for him.  If anyone could get an answer to a question or figure out the problem, it was Ray, and it was consistently done quickly and professionally.  It was a wonderful night with great conversation and laughs.  His boss drove down from Pittsburgh with his wife (huge surprise) and his partner in crime from the Pittsburgh office also made the trip for the days events.

Like Ray, I value good work ethics.  I am extremely loyal to mostly my patients and to my co-workers.  But things took a turn on Friday that have me extremely saddened and disheartened. I have twenty-eight days to muster through.  Tomorrow I will be surrounded by several unhappy and confused co-workers.  There will be those that will be somehow be elated.  The environment is not going to be pleasant.  I have to remember that the occurrences have not affected me directly (but personally they have surprised and crushed me).  I have been reminding myself this entire weekend while I watch the stress melt off Ray's face (work stress this is...still have the house to tidy up but not too much left to do!) what my beliefs are, where my ethics lie, what I have  strived to accomplish in my career, and that I still have choices.  I do not have to be consistent.  I do not have to please everyone as long as my choices and decisions reflect what Ray and I have decided and discussed and that they are decisions I have made.  Not for anyone else, and not about anyone else.  28 days...let's just see what tomorrow brings.

For now, I will recline in my gravity chair and eat Ray's red hots!  And by the way, it snowed again today!  And rained.  And heavy winds.  We will say it was swaining while we rocked the day away.


No comments:

Post a Comment