Sunday, April 20, 2014

105 DAYS! AND HAPPY EASTER, TOO!

Oh dear, here we go!  Countdown to Panama!  Okay, I have several countdowns in my life right now. I am counting down the days until my retirement--18 work days, but since there is a ten day vacation thrown in there along with Memorial Day being a holiday,  39 days until I say "Sayonara" to the office setting, 12 days until vacation and there are 32 days until my long holiday weekend.   And finally, Ray and I have travel lined up to Panama with it being 105 days until we fly out of here on August 3rd with a return ticket back for November 23rd.  THREE MONTHS HERE!  We have made arrangements with our daughter (you always want to book family and friends in advance, since the summer will pass quickly!) to take us to the airport or perhaps just to the hotel the night before our flight.  Lake Anna is two hours from the airport, and our flight is at nine am.  No, I won't be leaving here to get there any earlier than I have to!

In my two plus years researching our retirement to Panama, I have read a lot about holidays in Panama mostly with the traffic that coincides with the holiday breaks.  Thousands and thousands of Panamanians leave Panama City and flock to the interior to take a much needed break at the beaches or in the mountains.  There are many vacation homes that sit empty until the owners revisit during the  long holiday breaks.  I have counted (always counting) 23 holidays in Panama (give or take a few days that might be added around the actual holiday).  With the thousands of cars on the road (there is one road) getting the Panamanians to the interior, there is gridlock.  There have been several accidents in the last few days on the PanAmerican Highway.  The expats, if they have lived there long enough, if they have done their research, if they have friends that have had experiences being in the thick of the chaos, know to batten down the hatches and stay home.  They know to make plans according to when the grocery stores will be overpacked and lacking in supplies, the roads will be congested and the quiet beaches will be chaotic.  They know to shop early for groceries and staples and to stay close to home.  Heck, they are retired, and the beaches and grocery stores will be there for them the next day.  They also know to keep the earplugs close by for the fireworks and loud music that will go on into the wee hours of the morning.  And they know to have their alcohol bought prior to the holiday since there are days of prohibition.  And if they want peace and quiet, they know to head to Panama City where the stores are empty, and there are sales galore!

How does all of that relate to my week prior to the Easter holiday.  I certainly can drink anytime I want, I have only needed earplugs to drown the chattering of the birds out (but heck, I turn my hearing aids on so I can finally hear the music haha), but alas, I cannot avoid the chaotic mess of the highway.  There is pretty much just one way to my office.  I have to get over the Rappahannock River, and then, just for kicks, I could get off the highway and take an even longer route to get to work.  Nevertheless, the only way north to work is to get over this one body of water first--the Rappahannock River that runs through Fredericksburg, VA.  For history buffs, there was the Battle of Rappahannock River fought during the War of 1812.  This river also provided a barrier and defensive line for troops during the Civil War.  It was a difficult barrier for Union troops to take over southern Virginia.  In other words, not much has changed in the last two hundred years!  Everyday thousands of commuters have to fight the traffic to get over this river.  Ray and I have fought this river daily this past week.  We have been in the chaotic mess of the holiday week.  There are numerous counties surrounding I-95 North to Northern Virginia.  Some of these counties celebrated school spring breaks this past week.  My daughter was off from teaching last week.  Other counties close the schools this coming week.  I foolishly thought, for half a second, that there would be less traffic.  People would be on vacation.  They would be like the Panamanians and flock to the beaches or to New York City (many friends take their kids here when on break) or go on cruises even.  My commute hasn't really changed.  It was eight times as long one week ago on the Thursday night prior to  spring break for many in this area.  It stays about six times as long going to work and coming home at night (one hour).  Ray hasn't been left out of the mess either.  He had to travel over the river to Northern Virginia two days last week, and there was not one day of accidents getting in his way but both days.
Our mess here daily

Holiday mess in Panama

Then Friday, Good Friday, came along.  With our daughter being off on break and me being off on Fridays, I had made plans with her to spend the day with her (she is just that lucky).  Ray, being retired, decided to join us in the festivities.  In the past, when she has been on break, we do some damage shopping.  This past Friday was no exception.  I was the lucky one that benefited mostly from the springtime sales.  I loved having Carly help me choose what and what not to buy and wear.  Getting to her apartment was easy breezy.  It takes about an hour and a half from the lake house to Fairfax, VA.  Coming home, it just about doubled.  Fortunately, there weren't any car accidents standing in our way.  Unfortunately, there were just thousands upon thousands of cars making there way into or out of town for the holiday weekend/week.  Almost double the time to get home.
What I was shopping for on Friday (minus those boots--blech--and won't work in Panama!)

 Unusual weekend to have so many plans in Northern Virginia, yesterday had us back on the highway traveling about the same distance to a friend's birthday dinner.  Two plus hours later, we arrived early and hungry.  Our early arrival had us driving around a bit (more driving sight seeing and touring homes in our old stomping grounds from 1987).  Driving home at night, the only thing we saw were deer on the side of the road.  That could be fortunate or unfortunate.  Today, we head back to our daughter's apartment because she, at the last minute, became our Easter holiday hostess with the mostess.  Sure, I could have had dinner here, but I didn't want my daughter and nephew to have to make the drive here.  Ray's retired, and since he is driving Miss Daisy everywhere, I can suck it up one more day.  And besides, in 105 days I will have my Panamanian holiday calendar at the ready, and I will know when to load up on bread, toilet paper and milk--wait, that's what we do here when a big snow storm is on its way--fruits, meats and liquids will be stocked, and I will have my hearing aids out and earplugs at the ready!
End of the day update:  while we hit traffic going North on I-95 to our daughter's apartment today and had to drive the country backroads to get there (taking all of the two hours we gave ourselves to get there), Facebook messages popped up along the way showing tragic accidents in the interior of Panama with fatalities.  My trip was thankfully uneventful with just many cars on the road getting in our way.  We were even behind a tractor (oh no, not another tractor) carrying very large bales of hay (Ray shys away from tractors now!).   Just a reminder to me to stay home during those holidays in Panama.


No comments:

Post a Comment