Wednesday, February 27, 2013

DO YOU SPEAK SPANISH?

With a slight chuckle, a patient of mine this morning (reminder that I am a dental hygienist) asked if I speak Spanish?  In twenty-eight years of practicing dental hygiene, I have never been asked this question.  I am in Virginia.  The United States.  Why would I necessarily speak Spanish in a city with 9.5% being Hispanic or Latino (75% White according to 2011 numbers)?  Now she did chuckle, so I know she was a bit nervous.  And I wasn't put out in any way by her question, it was just odd to me.  Then I realized we do have one Spanish speaking dental hygienist in the office (not that this one has ever treated her before though), and the dentist she sees in the office speaks Spanish (he is from CA).  So her question then made a little sense.  And also, as Ray reminded me, when we have traveled to Mexico, Spain and Panama, we have often asked "do you speak English"?  Mostly because we have needed to know if we needed our daughter to speak for us, to take our translation guides out or use a lot of hand gestures.  In Panama, in the interior, we learned quickly not to even ask anymore.  There is limited English even with the policemen.

 Back to the job--the fun part for me was to actually try and answer her a bit and communicate with her in Spanish.  But then I froze.

Here is the scenario at ten am.
Patient:  Do you speak Spanish?  Chuckle.
Me:  Oh, no.  Chuckle.  Un poquito (A little, I bravely try and say.)  Despacio, por favor.  (Speak slowly, please.)
Patient:  Bueno, bueno. (Good, good).

The worst thing someone can do, of course, is let the other think they know their language.  Because then they just let it all go!  And it is just so fast.  So I have set the patient back in the chair now and I tell her that I am going to Panama in three weeks.

Me:  Voy a Panamá en tres semanas.  (Or I might have said "¡Vamos!"--as in "Let's go!"  lol  I think that is the word I used instead--ooops.)
Me:  Aprender espanol.  (learn Spanish)  I don't know how to say "I am trying to learn Spanish again".
Patient:  Nothing.  Her mouth is open.  She can't say much and that's good!

At the end of the appointment I cheated a bit, signed onto Google Translate and told the patient that Dr. X was coming into see her next.  Oh, and I tried to ask her if she taught Spanish or ever did intercambios with people interested in learning Spanish while she learned English.  That didn't go over well.  She spoke in English and answered me, but I couldn't even understand what she replied.

Dr. X came into the operatory to perform the exam.  In Spanish, I know that he asked her how she was, how her teeth were (dientes), and then they chatted.  I gathered the word "solamente" (only) out of her mouth.  She rolled her tongue a lot (she is from Honduras--another dialect naturally), they laughed (I wondered what he really understood), and she spoke so fast!

At the end of the appointment, I did manage to tell her I would "veo que in seis meses" (I cheated on the 'see you' part but knew 'the six months' part--meaning "see you in six months") and made her appointment "de agosto a las 10 am" (on a certain day in August at ten am).  I am so going to knock her socks off at that visit.
Okay.  Probably not.  I will just speak English which is something I know quite well.  It might be best for both of us.   It just really woke me up to how much I want to learn the language and how difficult it will be.  I still have time.

4 comments:

  1. It's happened to us too that we've spoken a little Spanish, and the other person thinks we understand a lot and starts talking way faster than I can understand. I've found pretty much everyone is very helpful though if they find you want to learn, and this was the case even back in the US.

    Start studying as much as you can! It's hard and takes a long time to learn another language. There are just so many words to learn, as well as grammar rules and all that. I have a much higher respect for people who manage to become fluent in another language. Myself, I'm getting better but it seems so slow and I'm still can't understand, or express myself nearly as well as I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be slow forever! I have had three years of Spanish, you know, back in the eighties! My daughter speaks Spanish fluently, so perhaps this summer she can tutor me some. She will have her Masters in Education by then, but I could be a really big challenge for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been studying with Habla Ya on line http://www.hablayapanama.com/ They aren't the cheapest but they are very professional and serious about getting you going. I also had Pimsleur on audio books http://www.pimsleur.com/ I had to repeat a lesson four or five times to get it in my head, but since I spent so much work time in the car it worked out very well for me. I got them through audible.com I think it's harder to learn a language when you're older. At least that's the excuse I'm using :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try youtube. I started learning Arabic on youtube and did pretty well. Even learned to read and write a bit. Atleast spanish is in characters that we can understand.

    ReplyDelete