Sunday, February 10, 2013

FEROCIOUS NOR'EASTER, NEMO (MISSES VIRGINIA, AS USUAL)

Monster snow storm ravages New England.  That was the headline in the Boston Globe newspaper today.  The following paragraph was taken from the paper the day after New England had one of the worst winter storms in its history.

Pummeled by one of the worst winter storms in its history, much of Massachusetts spent Saturday digging out, waiting for power, and navigating a snow-shrouded landscape that was both pristinely beautiful and savagely cruel. Two Boston residents died and two were injured because of carbon-monoxide poisoning linked to the storm, which dumped up to 30 inches on snow on the state. Hundreds of coastal residents were evacuated from the North Shore to Cape Cod, and more than 400,000 people in Massachusetts awoke without power on Saturday (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/02/10/ferocious-nor-easter-departs-leaving-deaths-and-injuries-its-wake/TTs8xVUD5dtJmToasYOR8I/story.html)

https://www.google.com/search?q=boston+snow

The reason I am posting about this snowstorm in Boston is because my daughter would love to land a teaching position in Boston.  We were just on the phone Thursday night talking about a possible trip to Boston to a job fair in April.  Her dad asked her if she could find a job and reside wherever she wanted, where would that be?  While she replied that Northern Virginia is probably where she will end up at first, she truly would love to move to Boston. She loves cold more than hot and humid.  She wants to live in a city.  She wants to go out of the box. (Sound familiar?).  This storm was a classic Nor'Easter coming up from the south wreaking havoc and creating ruckus for hundreds of thousands of people.  While my friends, family and I all know what transpires from these storms (accidents, power outages, possible deaths, travel disruptions), we still crave this type of storm for our area. We are due some snow.  Which brings this blog back to Panama.  

While watching the news yesterday morning and The Weather Channel, my one girlfriend told Ray and I  "when in Panama, you won't see any snow".  The reason I want a foot of snow (okay, I will settle for waking up to six or eight inches of snow) to fall from the sky and land in my neck of the woods is so that I will get that surprised "snow day" thrown at me.  Work will be canceled if I wake up to too much snow or the hours of my schedule would be shortened if it starts falling heavily midday.  I don't long for shoveling, being cold, and being cooped up in the house with possible power outage.  And the only thing on TV (if not prepared with recorded programs, and if there is even power) is the news.  And the weathermen stating how right they were about the big snow event.  Snowmaggedon as we had February 5-6, 2010 dropped thirty inches of snow in my area.  The Federal Government shut down.  Thousands of people were without power.  My neighborhood wasn't plowed for five days, we shoveled every two hours to stay ahead of the game, and we chatted with our neighbors about how we could see the main road plowed "right there".  If we could just "get there".   Ray drove me to work eventually, because his office was shut down along with the government. This was once we (the neighbors) finally used the one snow blower in our subdivision of twenty-five houses and blew our way out of our court. 

 So when in Panama, why will I want to feel those frigid cold temperatures that go right along with a good snowfall? Why will I want my skin to be snapped with those biting winds?   Why will I care about not seeing snow, having that measurable snowfall or the digging out?  Oh, that's right, I won't.  







2 comments:

  1. You want a surprise day off? You will have them. It seems like every time you turn around here there is another holiday. Right now it is carnival, time to blow off all your steam before lent. And, the rest of the days, also days off because you will be in PANAMA! Good luck with the snow up there. If I never see snow again that's fine with me. If you don't feel the same you can always visit the US in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely see snow if my daughter ever resides in Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete