Monday, January 20, 2014

HOME AGAIN. FOR THE TIME BEING. (Day 6)

It is Martin Luther King Day today, and normally I would be at work.  At this dental office that I have worked at for almost eight years, I have worked this holiday begrudgingly.  Only because for the sixteen years prior, I always had the day off with many other employees of varying jobs.  I scheduled myself off for today and found a sub-hygienist, because I knew I would need it after our trip.  And because Ray would be home, too haha  We are waiting for his two co-workers to come to the house.  They are stuck in traffic (holiday weekend) and may turn themselves around, and try again another time.  Their reason to come here is to shop my Christmas and holiday "stuff".  Speaking of all of my things, I called another estate sale company.  She told me my house is too far from her location.  I had given her the address prior to our trip, but once I called today, she decided it wouldn't be worth it.  Guess she has enough business.  Basically I spent the morning taking pictures of everything we own, and once the house sells, we will sell things ourselves and not pay someone 35% commission.  Okay, back to Panama for a while!

I have procrastinated writing this post, because while we were so busy with our friends on Day 6 and 7, it is because of this that I have so much to write!  Where to begin...Day 6 was Thursday.  After our walk, I left Ray in the hotel room and enjoyed some reading time poolside.  The pool at this Marriott wasn't all that, but there were lounge chairs and a table with some chairs.  What was lacking was an umbrella or any shade.  I scooted a lounge chair and table next to the wall where there was just enough shade for me to lounge beside and read.  About an hour later, Ray found me sitting poolside with my legs dangling over the edge of the pool.  I did not pack my swim suit thinking there would be no time to play in the pool.  I had also read that the pool was very small, and like Ray said, we were next to a mall where we could buy a suit if necessary.  The day was spent reading indoors and out, and then Heidi called at two pm.  She had our passports in hand and would be by the hotel around four pm to drop them off to us.  Clyde and Terry checked into their hotel at three pm and, because of traffic, we did not see Heidi until five or so.  Meanwhile, Clyde and Terry had taken a dip in their rooftop pool, changed and came to pick us up for dinner.  Heidi told Ray it will be unnecessary to make a special trip to Panama for our permanent visas that should arrive in two months (or so).  Once we get to Panama, for good in August, we go back to Immigrations with our attorney for the permanent card (as long as nothing else is needed).  But if we don't go back within a year, it is about a $50 fine.

We took Clyde and Terry to PaParrillada Jimmy's (I think I spelled it wrong in my last post), because they had not been there before, and we had enjoyed lunch so much.  It was an easy drive from the hotel, we sat towards the back of the restaurant under the large ceiling fans keeping us cool and our hair blowing (well, mine and Terry's anyways), and while I wanted a frozen cocktail, I ended up with a water.  I just didn't want a pina colada or lime margarita.  Oh well, next time.  We ordered appetizers of ceviche (excellent!), octopus (el pulpo) because our attorneys said it was a must to order, corvina, chicken shish kebab again for me (only done in Chef Villa style which meant it had succulent red sauce all over it--yummo!) and pork medallions for Ray.  Clyde and Terry said the corvina was okay, the octopus was very good although we didn't love seeing and eating the chewy tentacles, but we agreed that all the other dishes were fantastic.  We had a Spanish speaking waiter that was accompanied by an English translator.  (At lunch the day before, Ray and I were out of luck and did a pretty good job if I say so myself.).  The very best part of this entire dinner is that Clyde then motioned for Ray to give the waiter his temporary visa card, because we were asking for the jubilado discount.  Ray and I were treating Clyde and Terry to dinner for all their driving and just spending time with us getting to know us and taking us, well basically, everywhere.  Woo hoo!  Saved the 25% off dinner!  Nice!  Awesome!  Success!

The rest of the night had Clyde driving us first to the Discovery Center store.  This store is down the road from the Immigrations Office.  I look at it as a Home Depot, Target or Walmart, grocery store, and perhaps a toy store all in one.  And it is stocked pretty much with US products.  Next stop was to the PriceSmart (our Costco here but smaller) where I saw that balsamic vinaigrette there is $4 and same size bottle here is almost $12.  Pecans are costly at almost $20 a bag (Saturday I saw them for $11), but walnuts are the opposite (less in Panama than here).  A large jar of minced garlic cost the same and a bag of Kirkland brand chocolate chips cost the same as well.  I don't know how often I will need to go to PriceSmart since it is just the two of us, but it will come in handy perhaps for bulk boneless chicken, paper products and cleaning supplies.  Since the ice cream and food counter was closed, we then used our jubilado discount (15%) at McDonalds for a snicker and almond McFlurry.  Once our ice cream was finished, Clyde and Terry drove us to their hotel.  We saw the rooftop pool, and what $35/night with continental breakfast and free wifi can get a couple, and we thought it was fantastic!  A great place to know about when in Panama for a night or two.
The lazy day of Thursday ended with us making plans for a busy, adventurous day with Clyde and Terry for Friday.  Ray and I were excited to see more!
Our pool at hotel

Steering wheels at Discovery Center

Nuts and bolts and PVC piping

Can buy an $800 bike as well.

Maybe you need a tire or two?

Water tanks in different colors and sizes with ceiling fans in the background


Umbrellas in all sizes and colors with collapsible coolers

No comments:

Post a Comment