Friday, July 13, 2012

THE ATTORNEY AND THE MAID

Ray works for a law firm. (And again, he is not a lawyer.  He gets them paid.) Word is getting around that he wants to be out of there in "two to three" years and retired to Panama.  The attorneys love hearing about the research we have been doing and share in the excitement of our hopeful move to somewhere in Panama.  Some of the questions asked are "how can you retire at such a young age, what about your daughter/family here, what will you take with you, what will you do when you get there...".  The attorneys really have nothing to offer Ray because this is extreme and out of the box for them.  However, the cleaning crew in this building have lots to offer Ray!  One woman told Ray she knew about our vacation to Panama this fall and also about our wanting to retire to Panama and the need to refresh/relearn (!) Spanish, so she gave Ray a book that was given to her when she came to the States.  In this book, there are much needed words and phrases that I suppose we should know how to speak in Spanish when we get there.
 Here are some examples of what phrases I know I should memorize before moving there:
Please help me.
I do not speak Spanish well.
I need help.
Please, try to understand me.
Can you help me find this address?  (I know this one will be useless in Panama since there aren't addresses there!)

Hopefully these listed below what be phrases we are likely to need to memorize.  But they are in the little white book she gave Ray :)
I have no money.
I have done nothing wrong.
I am not guilty.
Do not be afraid.  I will not harm you.
I am going to sue you.  (I know this one will mean nothing to the Panamanians!)
Go to Hell.
I am sorry I am late (I know this will never pertain to Panamanians--they know nothing of timeliness)
Put it in writing!!!!!!!
I want to go shopping!!!!!!!
I will be back tomorrow (I better recognize this one and then forget about it since no one shows up tomorrow apparently!)

And as I learned from the International Living Conference, if I have a party or get together, I will need to put the start time and write in "tiempo Americano" so the friends that I am sure to have made will know to show up on time and not two hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment