Friday, July 27, 2012

QUINOA AND PANAMA

Since our daughter has left for graduate school, Ray and I don't cook too many meals during the work week.    We eat a lot of salads and a lot of vegetables.  We then go all out on Saturdays.  But since I discovered Pinterest (late bloomer compared to my friends), I have wanted to try out some recipes just to mix things up a bit.

We are not seafood lovers although lately I have sampled some fish dishes (tilapia, grouper, red snapper, wahoo), and I have liked those that I have tried.  We eat some beef but mostly chicken and a bit of pork.  Along with these meats, I have been into quinoa for a while.  An excellent source of protein, quinoa is a whole grain seed that is light and fluffy with a slight nutty flavor (compared to couscous in texture).  Due to its protein and fiber content, there isn't a need to have meat as part of the dish.  It can be the whole meal.  Tonight, while preparing a stuffed pepper with quinoa meal, I wondered about Panama and if quinoa is on the store shelves there.

I am "stalking" a Facebook page as well as a Panama Expat Exchange Forum page (www.expatexchange.com/panama/liveinpanama), and recently they both had the topics "what do you miss most about being able to get from the States" and "what are your must haves to bring to Panama"?  I read that a meat tenderizer mallet is a necessity for the Panamanian beef, and it isn't easily found in Panama.

What are our must haves?  I wonder if we will miss things or just be so excited and ready to try all new foods.  I wonder how long the excitement will last?  I am sure we won't starve though--I have also read that ice cream is readily available!

No comments:

Post a Comment