Saturday, July 21, 2012

SEVEN MINUTES WITH A DOCTOR FOR BONY PROTUBERANCE


Ray and I very rarely go to the doctor’s.  We stay (knock on wood) pretty healthy, but occasionally we will get things that have to be checked out.  He had pink eye last year and a spider bite a few years ago (super scary and ugly what it did to his hand before getting on the meds), and I go diligently for my yearly exams as well as eye exams.  However last year, while on vacation in Sweden of all places, I fell on my knee.  I didn’t dare break my fall on those 500 year old steps of the City Hall building in Stortget (Malmo) by dropping by camera or my purse!  Instead, I chose to just land on my knee and let my knee take the all the trauma.  And since I fell going UP the five steps, Ray was where he was supposed to be—behind me in case I fell backwards!
 Besides the huge yellow, green, and purple bruise that went down my shin bone, I didn’t think anything of the fall until I felt a “bony protuberance” about a month later.  I chose to have a physician at Patient First look at the lump and x-ray it there.  Patient First is open 365 days a year and is a one stop shop for exams and x-rays.  His call was that the x-ray looked fine but “you should see an orthopedist”.  Two doctor appointments down and I was pretty much told “if you want a name put on it, have an MRI”.  No thanks.  That would be another doctor’s appt, another co-pay, and more time in a waiting room.  So I left it alone for a year.  I would rub it every so often thinking I could just break it up some.   Then I decided to really wash my floors on my hands and knees (yes, I have done this within a year!) and noticed a nagging ache in my knee.  It lasted all day and into the night.  Like an old sports injury of which I never played any sports!  So back to the orthopedist I went.  I didn’t like thinking “is it really scar tissue—it seems super bony to be scar tissue”.  I mean I did learn something about bone formation in dental hygiene school but that was 27 years ago!  So maybe I do want to put a name on it.  And perhaps relearn what I had been taught about osteoclasts and osteoblasts (okay, perhaps not).  The other reason this lump was now weighing on my mind was that I had  just read an article in the paper about an adolescent boy (both of which I am not) that had cancer of the knee joint, so now I knew I was doomed. 
Back to the orthopedist I go.  Forty minutes in the waiting room,  Nurse Abby then took my vitals, fifteen or longer minutes in the closed operatory (I read an entire Family Circle magazine from November, 2011), five minutes with the orthopedist to look at my one year old x-ray and have him request new x-rays, ten minutes or longer waiting for the x-ray tech to get me from the closed room (I had moved on to another magazine), x-rays taken and another ten minutes or so waiting for doctor to show again to fortunately  tell me that it all looked good.  Basically, from the trauma I had a microscopic fracture of the bone and because of that fracture more bone formed—so I will always have this bony protuberance.
  I do feel better knowing why I have a lump.  I  just wish the Physician Assistant last year at the Orthopedist office had explained this to me and not told me to get an MRI (which is good for soft tissue, not bone) for a name to be put on it.  But what I really loved about getting this explanation was the one hour and forty five minute appointment that I had (and $60 in co-pays for the three visits not to mention what the x-rays will cost since I have to meet a $250 deductible) to see a doctor for perhaps seven minutes J 
When I get to Panama (still thinking it’s going to happen!), I hope that IF I have to go to the doctor or when I go for my yearly exams, they are quick and efficient and cheap like I keep reading about on everyone’s blogs!  And maybe I will even be privey to more than seven minutes of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment