Thursday, October 18, 2012

PANAMA OR BUST!


In less than two days from now, Ray and I leave for Panama!  While treating a patient today, I found the time to daydream about our trip (this is the norm after practicing dental hygiene for 27 years—I can do it with my eyes closed).  I realized I have expectations of Panama, and they are as follows:
I expect the drive from Panama City to Playa Coronado to be an adventure and a bit taxing.  Ray has several different print outs of how to get out of the city plus the GPS we will have.  He does this everywhere we go, and then can’t make up his mind what he is going to pay attention to.  I expect we will rely on our friend, Clyde’s, directions.  This would be the smartest thing to do. 
I expect to drive through jungle.  I have looked at the highway using Google Earth.  The highway seems to run through green and lush forestry.
I expect to see black and white sand once at the condominium but not the clearest of water.  And I expect the streets of Coronado to look like our Rte. 1 here in Stafford only lined with a Panamanian McDonald’s and Panamanian stores.
View from the condominium complex of the black and white sand

A plaza in Coronado

The Solarium Complex  (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1022784-d1906308-r97745042-Solarium_Coronado_Beach-Playa_Coronado_Cocle_Province.html)

I expect El Valle to be cooler in temperature than where we are staying in Coronado (on the beach), and I know the roads will be curvy and steep.
Steep hill in El Valle

I expect the farmer’s market in El Valle to be like the market when walking away from Dunns River Falls in Jamaica.  Maybe smaller.  And maybe, hopefully, the vendors won’t yell at me.  It’s just how I am picturing the tents and canopies to look.
Dunn's River Falls, Jamaica and yes, easy enough to walk up

I expect rain.  I expect it to rain like it would in Hawaii.  I expect it to rain heavy and then subside in the afternoon.  I expect the rain to come and go.  I just expect rain.  Maybe I will be pleasantly surprise.  And along with the rain, I expect humidity.  I expect that I will have some really bad hair days.  I am hopeful that my brand new regular $200 but on sale from Amazon for $59.99 T3 Tourmaline Ceramic Ionic flat iron will kick tropical humidity’s butt, but I expect that my bangs will stir “wing out” and my hair will show off some frizzy curl (I expect someday to embrace my curls, but I haven’t come to that yet).
Heavy rain, of course

Panama doesn't get hurricanes?

I expect to eat like a maniac since I have been really, really good for the past few weeks!  I want to try arepas as I have written before, I want some Panamanian rum and Sangria, I want to try fondas along the way and even some pizza.  I would also like to try some Panamanian coffee (even though I won’t be in Boquete this trip).
Ron Abuelo (NOT Capt . Morgan!)

No need to explain

I expect the Panama Canal to be an amazing sight.  And I expect Panama City to be congested, chaotic, dirty and fascinating with the high rises that are popping up.
Panama Canal

Skyscrapers of Panama City (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg8vsMBBIhdfGqhERilyb5lNcAb1LSMTUWuRbHUV0od1nPgHQUf1u-lL0VdTH8SYYenFuIcMsoq0pEgJjiEWTwzQl0aZ0MB84TvFZM5s7gmeRfn-3aAmhu6IzJy_bymFr1ISfPKkB2k01s/s1600/1.1263913528.panama-city-skyscrapers.jpg&imgref)

But most of all, I expect the virtual friends I have been in touch with for these last few months to be even more wonderful than they have been through emails, facebook and blog postings!  I am going to keep a journal of my trip and expect to have fantastic pictures of our journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I hope that Panama has met all your expectation, although I doubt it. Your views are truly romantic. Enjoy Panama will all the wonders. Cheers Mitch from Chame Panama

    ReplyDelete