Saturday, May 12, 2012

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Mothers Day in the States falls on the second Sunday of the month.  It falls about a week after my birthday, so May for me is a big deal.  Lots of pampering or just letting me do my thing (when my daughter was little, I can remember planting flowers and just being left alone outside to get it done--after she had made me breakfast.).  My daughter is graduating from college on Mothers Day this weekend.  It is a really big deal.  Magna Cum Laude, and she finished in three years.  This is a huge gift (I won't get breakfast in bed, but I won't be cooking either---not that that has happened around here a lot in the last three years.).  To be with my family and closest friends is going to be one of the best days for me.  It will also be bittersweet since I lost my mom to cancer almost two years ago, and my daughter lost her Nanny.  (My dad passed away eight years ago to cancer--not looking too great for me!  My parents would be having the time of their lives seeing the grandkids graduating--two from college and one from high school).  But I continuously think that all I wanted was for my mom to live her life to the fullest.  My family just wanted her to be happy.  We didn't agree with some of her choices (like relocating half the year to Florida with an old high school sweetheart--seemed odd), but we knew this was her decision and where she wanted to be.  And that she was happy.  She was content.  She was having fun.  She was living.  
This is what I think about when I think about an early retirement to Panama.  I think about leaving my daughter and family back in the States (which is why I want a three bedroom house).  We are all super supportive of each other.  Since Ray and I usually follow all the rules and are vanilla in what we do, they are listening to our ideas and wondering just like we are if this will ever come about.  They know that we all have to do our own thing in life to be happy and content and fulfilled.  They know how much we love to travel, see new places and want to do something that isn't exactly on the straight and narrow.    

So let's see where I will be a few Mothers Days from now.  Of course, it will be the start of the rainy season so will I travel home to bother my daughter and have her make breakfast for me?  OR when it is celebrated in Panama as a legal holiday on December 8th, will I enjoy the festivities there?  I will have two Mothers Days to celebrate ME in Panama...just two more reasons to retire there, perhaps?  It's looking better and better when it is a win win for ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment