Wednesday, May 16, 2012

RISK IT

First and foremost, I am completely baffled as to why my last post looks crazy.  Odd.

While I was spending time with my family this past weekend, we obviously started talking just a bit about Panama.  My nephew told me and his uncle that he is so coming to visit us!  He is so excited for us to start an adventure, a new experience, to just go out there and try something different.  My daughter's good friend told me (while I was cleaning her teeth today) that she is also "so going to visit" me and Ray in Panama.  And my sister just told me that  we are to plan our trip in October to include her.  I don't know what her future plans are except that she does want to find a place to live some of the year that isn't in Virginia and wants to see what we see and learn what we learn.  This trip could be hilarious with the three of us in unfamiliar territory. And while we laugh at ourselves a lot and laugh with a lot of our family and friends over the prospect of moving to a "third world country", we still remain steadfast in our decision to continue daydreaming, researching and note taking for our early retirement to Panama.

 We are taking a risk with our goal being to retire to Panama, but I will say we are taking the necessary steps to soften the blows of what a risk can do (I hope).  Jim Lehrer (American journalist and former news anchor for PBS News Hour) was the Commencement speaker at my daughter's graduation this past weekend. The most important part  that I tried to retain (and later "googled" to get it completely right) ) was that the graduates need to "serve and take risks". He stated that "to search for a safe place is to search for an end to a rainbow that you will hate once you find it.  Take charge of your own life.  Create your own risks by setting your own standards, satisfying your own standards. The way to happiness is to risk it. Risk it."  Boy, it sounds so great those words of wisdom.  I hope he knows what he's talking about.  Not to say that I am only listening to him, but it is just one more reason why I am thinking this really might be the way to go or the thing to do--mix it up, step out of the box, take a leap and take a chance.








No comments:

Post a Comment